1961 Timeline
  Regardless of MOS if you recognize or participated in any of the events listed on this Timeline page and would like to contribute any information, personal stories, documents, old orders, media articles, photographs, or, if you can provide information on any events not listed, please take a moment to contact the History Project Manager (Tom Watson) at the Email Link provided below. Your contributions are important to the recording of your personal service, the Battalion history and are always welcomed here.
   Please take the time to report any broken links on this page to via the Email Link.
    Send your photographs as .jpg via the Email Link. Scan them as large as you can, one to an Email and include as much information as you can. If you would rather send a CD of photos direct any questions via the Email Link or call 864-378-5503 (EST), no text messages.
This Page Last Updated  21 May 2016            
Click on service ribbons for criteria >
4th U.S.
720th MP
     All major theater improvements, Cold War events or incidents that affected the 720th MP Battalion’s force allocations, training, operations, deployments, morale or history are shown in blue American Typewriter Font.
Eligibility for Service Ribbons
Click on ribbons above right for specific criteria

     Editors Note: Eligibility for the National Defense Service Medal (NDSM), commencing with the period after 31 December 1960, was established by DOD Directive 1348.7, dated 1 April 1966, and terminated effective 15 August 1974, per letter from Manpower and Reserve Affairs, subject: Termination of Eligibility for the National Defense Service Medal, dated 30 June 1974.

    Covers the deployment of advisory forces and later combat and support commands to the South Vietnamese Theater of Operations.

     Prior to authorization of the NDSM, from 1 July 1958 through 3 July 1965 troops deployed to the theater who qualified were issued the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM).

     The Secretary of Defense approved a request for approval of foreign awards to U.S. Military personnel on 7 February 1966. Those troops deployed to the South Vietnamese Theater of Operations meeting the criteria were authorized to wear the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal with 1960- devise bar (RVCM).

STRAC Duty At Fort Hood, Texas

      At the start of the year the battalion’s organic units, HQ & HQ Detachment, Alpha and Bravo Companies, less Charlie Company (active without personnel or equipment), under the command of LTC Harold K. Reynolds was headquartered subordinate to the U.S. 4th Army at Fort Hood Texas. Delta Company was permanently inactivated from service on 10 October 1960.

Exact Date Unknown SP/4 Harland E. Tull, Jr. of Alpha Company and Ronald G. Reber of HQ Detachment received letters of commendation from MG Edward G. Farrand for being runner-up in the Fort Hood Post Level Soldier of The Month competition in grades E-4 and below.

Wanted: Photographs of SP/4's Tull and Reber, please contact the History Project Manager via the Email Link at the top of this page.

6 January  Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev declared his nations support of wars of national liberation. The new Kennedy administration recognized the statement as the signal for the escalation of the Soviet strategy to undermine and overthrow Western governments in the emerging third world nations that appeared to be the weakest.

20 January  John F. Kennedy (D) is sworn in as the 35th President of the United States, and former Texas Senator Lyndon B. Johnson is his Vice President. Both were decorated combat veterans of WWII.

     With the Cold War still threatening allies in Europe, and communist aggression heating up in the southern (America) hemisphere and Indochina, the young and untested President directed a portion of his inauguration speech as a warning to the aggressor nations, specifically Communist China and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics or USSR (Russia).

J. F. Kennedy
L. B. Johnson

     “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.”

     Like his predecessor Eisenhower, President Kennedy recognized the threat of communist insurgency in the third world and especially in South American hemisphere. Although at first against direct military aid, he would eventually change his position and expand his “battle for minds and souls,” of third world nations and ask Congress to lift their ban on military and advisory aid that was initially denied. By November Congress finally acquiesced to the president’s continued requests, and military (counterinsurgency) aid was approved.

     To the Chinese and Soviet’s, Kennedy’s mixed messages and lack of decisiveness in the Bay Of Pigs Invasion on 17 April made him appear politically weak and indecisive, and his mettle would be quickly tested by both of the world Communist powers.

Mao Tes Tung
Nikita Khrushchev

Exact Dates Unknown Some of the numerous duty commitments of the battalion were reduced to allow it to prepare for its Annual Training Test, scheduled for the month of April. Several days each week the line companies trained in the field, and once every two weeks the entire battalion trained together, always under tactical conditions.

     The battalion became proficient in such aspects of combat as motor marches, setting up a bivouac area, riot control, operation of a prisoner of war compound, traffic control, daylight and night attacks, and Chemical, Biological and Radiological (CBR) warfare.

      LTC Reynolds promoted CPT Robert K. Udclaire to the rank of Major by at a ceremony at Battalion Headquarters.

10 February The battalion provided a funeral detail to Hearne, Texas for graveside services of former 2LT Harvey S. Spiller, Jr. age 25 of Cameron, Texas who died from injuries received in a vehicle crash. 2LT Spiller, now a civilian, was a Fort Hood veteran of the battalion.

13 February Described by the local print media as a “tall” team, the battalion basketball team held off a determined last half rally by the USA Hospital (85th Evacuation Hospital & Dental Detachment) to win the 1960-1961 Fort Hood Post Units Basketball Championship at Sports Arena 1 on Saturday 11 February.

      When they met Monday for the Post Championship, the brilliant offense and rebounding play of Claude Callahan, the battalion’s 6’6”center, kept the MPs in front and enabled them to score a 72-63 victory.

Wanted: Rank, unit and photograph of Callahan, please contact the History Project Manager via the Email Link at the top of the page.


   There is no information currently available on Battalion activities for this month. If you can provide any official documents, orders, media documents, personal stories or photographs, please notify the History Project Manager via the Email Link at the top of this page.


Exact Date Unknown The battalion was designated a 4th Army Superior STRAC unit for 1960 by the Commanding General of U.S. Continental Army Command (USCONARC). This marked the second year in a row that the battalion had won the most coveted STRAC award.

     The battalion, along with three other Fort Hood based units, were commended during their appearance in the post annual Armed Forces Day parade held at Sadowski Field on 12 May. Each unit also received a STRAC certificate of commendation and streamer.

The Bay of Pigs Invasion

17 April A failed military invasion of Cuba was undertaken by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency sponsored paramilitary group called Brigade 2506 comprised of Cuban exiles. The Brigade fronted the armed wing of the Cuban Democratic Revolutionary Front (DRF) and intended to overthrow the revolutionary communist government of Fidel Castro who took over the islands in 1959.

     The Brigade trained in Mexico and the attack was launched from a base in Guatemala. As a result of faulty CIA intelligence and without the air and naval support first promised, and then later held back by President Kennedy, the Brigade was defeated within three days by the Cuban armed forces under the direct command of Prime Minister Fidel Castro. Castro used the failed attack by the “Yankee imperialists” to solidify his power in Cuba and to obtain additional Soviet military aid.

Fidel Castro

28 April Along with fifty-seven other officers and NCO’s from Fort Hood, Battalion SGT Joseph A. Yow retired from the Army during a formal ceremony held at Sadowski Field.

      The Fort Hood Traffic Toll statistics for 1961 as of this date were 48 injuries and 2 fatalities. During the same time in 1960 there were 36 injuries and 3 fatalities.


3 May MG Ralph J. Butchers the Army Provost Marshal General arrived at Fort Hood for a tour of the facility. After a brief meeting with MG Farrand the post and 2nd Armored Division commander, and COL Marion C. Miller the post Provost Marsha,l he visited the battalion where he lunched with the senior MPs and area senior law enforcement officials.

     Following the lunch he visited the post stockade, and the 502nd MP Company where he met with the battalion’s officers and noncommissioned officers in the 502nd dayroom.

5 May The Fort Hood Traffic Toll statistics for 1961 as of this date were 49 injuries and 2 fatalities. During the same time in 1960 there were 36 injuries and 3 fatalities.

9 May PFC Joseph N. Hamilton of Bravo Company was scheduled for a wrestling match with Tony Barbetta, known as the “Brooklyn Butcher Boy,” in a feature event at the professional wrestling matches at Killeen’s Conder Park Coliseum. On the same card he will also partner up for a tag team match with “Tiny Bell,” an 86-pound midget, in the main event against Barbetta and “Pee Wee Lopez,” a 92-pounder. Tickets for the events were priced at $1.25 and $0.90 for adults and $0.50 for children under 12.

Wanted: Photograph of PFC Hamilton, please contact the History Project Manager via the Email Link at the top of the page.

12 May The Battalion softball team with a record of 2 wins and 2 losses were in a tie for 4th place in the Fort Hood Softball League’s Post Units National League.

20 May Thousands attended the Armed Forces Day themed “Power For Peace” parades, firepower demonstrations and events held throughout Fort Hood. At 0930 hours at Sadowski Field a grand review took place involving over 2,000 troops including a composite group from the Battalion.

     Following the review Superior STRAC unit awards for 1960 were presented, and the Battalion was one of four units recognized.

      SP/4 Earl D. Truss age 25 of Alpha Company died of injuries received in an off-post vehicle crash when his vehicle hit a culvert near Temple, Texas. A memorial service was held on the 22nd, and was well attended.

      The Fort Hood Traffic Toll statistics for 1961 as of this date were 56 injuries and 3 fatalities. During the same time in 1960 there were 51 injuries and 7 fatalities.

24 May LTC Reynolds received a STRAC citation for the Battalion from MG Farland in a simple ceremony in the general’s office.

26 May The Battalion softball team with a record of 4 wins and 4 losses remained in a tie for 4th place in the Fort Hood Softball League’s Post Units National League.


10 June LTC Reynolds left the battalion to assume the duties of the Assistant Provost Marshal, Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Until a replacement could arrive, MAJ Baxter M. Bullock the battalion executive officer, received interim command.

Editors Note: Later as a Lieutenant Colonel, Baxter M. Bullock would command the battalion during the Vietnam War from 7 June 1968 through 11 February 1969.

Wanted: Photographs of any change of command ceremony, and early 1960's photograph of MAJ Bullock, please contact the History Project Manager via the Email Link at the top of this page.

MAJ Bullock

14 June To mark the 186th anniversary of the U.S. Army and Flag Day, the Battalion fielded four platoons under the command of MAJ Baxter M. Bullock for a combined ceremonial retreat call at the post headquarters main flag. Accompanying the Battalion troops was the 266th Army Band.

23 June PVT Dennis E. Tubbs of Alpha Company graduated from the Fort Hood Noncommissioned Officers Academy Clerical Procedures Class No. 50. PVT Tubbs course average of 93.54 brought him recognition as the third highest of the 28 graduate.


7 July The Battalion softball team with a record of 8-6 remained in 4th place in the 1961 Fort Hood Softball League’s Post Units National League.

24 July Interim commander MAJ Baxter M. Bullock passed command of the battalion to to LTC Robert P. Hotaling. LTC Hotaling came to Fort Hood from Fort Jay, Governors Island, New York, where he was the Provost Marshal.

     He served with U.S. Army in Europe during World War II, and with the 8th Army in Korea. His decorations include the Bronze Star Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm.

Wanted: Photographs of the change of command ceremony, and background career information, please contact the History Project Manager via the Email Link at the top of this page.

LTC Hotaling

26 July PVT E2’s Fred A. Schnell and Daniel L. Wabakken were assigned to HQ & HQ Detachment with primary MOS 630 Vehicle Mechanics. PVT E2’s William E. Harbaugh, Roy R. Holmes and PFC Richard A. Tarini were reassigned from the 1st Armored Division to B Company with primary MOS 95 Military Police.


1 August MAJ Bullock was reassigned to Headquarters, 2nd Army, Fort George G. Meade in Maryland. Prior to his departure on the 9th, at a battalion party held for him and his wife, he was recommended for the Army Commendation Medal for outstanding service.

Exercise SEA WALL

2 August The 1st Platoon of Bravo Company, consisting of one officer (LT Robert B. Tanner) and fifty-six enlisted men, was selected for deployment to Fort Lewis, Washington to participate in Exercise SEA WALL.

     Exercise SEA WALL, COMEU OPLAN 301-61, was a major multi unit amphibious training exercise involving infantry, armor, and naval forces. The Bravo Company MP’s were involved in operating a POW collection point, traffic control points, convoy escorts, highway security, town patrols and amphibious beach landings.

     The Platoon first convoyed their equipment and some vehicles to the port of Beaumont, Texas, where it was placed on a ship for transport to the Pacific coast of Washington State. They returned to Fort Hood and prepared their remaining vehicles for the convoy to Forth Lewis. From Fort Lewis they proceeded to Puget Sound and were transported by watercraft to a place called Rabbit Island.

     With infantry elements they boarded WW-II era troop ships that proceeded out into Puget Sound. In full combat gear they had to climb down the rope ladders from the ships into the waiting landing craft below. Their landing craft departed the ships side proceeding out into the sound where they circled in very rough seas for what seemed hours until receiving orders to proceed to the beach on the southern coast of 55 square mile San Juan Island for the landing.

     When the ramps of the landing crafts dropped, they charged across the black ash colored sand to their designated positions. Other waves of larger landing craft transported the armored vehicles to the beach.

Editors Note: The San Juan Islands are an archipelago in the northwest corner of the contiguous United States between the U.S. mainland and Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. The San Juan Islands are part of the state of Washington.

      The exercise lasted approximately three weeks. During the exercise there were many injuries and a few fatalities. Some occurring during the landings, but most from vehicle accidents during the night maneuvers. None involved the battalion personnel or assets.

Wanted: Information, orders, official documents, photographs or personal stories relating to Exercise SEA WALL and photograph of LT Tanner, please contact the History Project Manager via the Email Link at the top of this page.

9 August MG Wright, Post Commander, Fort Hood, visited the battalion and was very impressed, and commented that he was very surprised that they were able to perform as well as they did operating at only 84% of their authorized TO&E strength.

10 August CPT Cox, a member of the Department of the Army (DOA) Personnel Management Team, reviewed the battalion’s Personnel Section as to their compliance under Army Regulation 600-45, and found they were in compliance.

11 August, 0415 hours Fort Hood Headquarters called for a post wide STRAC assembly test. All personnel fell out in full gear and readied their assets for deployment. Once inspected, the battalion stood by for the stand down order.

The Berlin Crisis

12 August In Berlin, Germany Cold War tensions spiked as roughly 67,500 Soviet and East German troops surrounded approximately 8,000 American, British and French military personnel in the city.

Construction of the Berlin Wall

13 August, 0100 hours East German border guards were stopping all traffic at various border-crossing sites into West Berlin and were stringing barbed wire barriers across the roadways.

     During the post World War II years thousands of Germans had fled the Communist Soviet occupied eastern sector of the city to the Allied western zone. Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev ordered the construction of a wall enclosing East Berlin to stop the destabilizing migration.

     Editors Note: The Army Military Police stationed within Berlin worked the checkpoints and provided much of the interior security patrols. With the encirclement of the city, the MP's would now be the tip of the spear facing the Russian and East German military on the new front lines, and their training and professionalism would be severely tested in the months to come.

     This map shows the impact of the building of the Berlin Wall on 13 August 1961. Initially, the Wall sealed off the Soviet sector of the city (i.e., East Berlin) from the three Allied Western sectors (West Berlin).

     Over time, another wall was built to secure West Berlin's external border with the German Democratic Republic (GDR). The Wall immediately interrupted the movement of citizens between the eastern and western parts of the city. (Until that point, such movement had proceeded with relatively few restrictions.)

     Moreover, after the Wall was built, only seven of the former 80 checkpoints on the city's internal border remained in place. One of them was reserved for foreign nationals and became known throughout the world as Checkpoint Charlie. Two additional checkpoints were reserved for citizens of the Federal Republic, and four border crossings were designated for Berliners from the western part of the city.

    Somewhat later, the subway [U-Bahn] and suburban train [S-Bahn] station Friedrichstraße was added as a crossing. (It is not shown on this map.)

14 August  With the departure of MAJ Bullock, MAJ Udclaire the S2 (intelligence) and S3 (operations) officer was assigned as the new executive officer, and CPT Craighead the S4 (logistics), was given the added responsibility of performing as the S2 and S3 officer.

18 August In response to the Berlin Crisis President Kennedy authorized the Army to alert 113 units and extended the overseas tours of 84,000 troops in Germany, Japan and South Korea by six months and 3 months respectively. The plan was used by the Army to bring the U.S. 7th Army and other combat and support units up to full strength.

22 August The shortage of personnel and quality of those being received resulted in Headquarters Fort Hood, issuing General Orders No. 110 reducing the battalion from their current TO&E of 19-35D. They were now authorized fifteen officers, three warrant officers, and 299 enlisted men.

MAJ Udclaire

25 August The Fort Hood Traffic Toll statistics for 1961 as of this date were 84 injuries and 10 fatalities. During the same time in 1960 there were 82 injuries and 8 fatalities.

      The battalion's MSG William B. Calloway was elected to the Fort Hood Rod & Gun Club Board of Governors.


1 September  As a result of the Cold War crisis started by the Soviet Union in Berlin, Germany, III Corps was reactivated at Fort Hood, and began training for crisis intervention in Europe.

Charlie Company Reactivated

15 September  Once again the battalion TO&E changed, this time they were reorganized from 19-35D to 19-35E, as per Headquarters Fort Hood General Orders No. 66, dated 11 September. The change resulted in the reactivation of Charlie Company, which had been inactive for several years.


Wanted: Information, photographs or personal stories relating to the reactivation ceremony for Charlie Company, please contact the History Project Manager via the Email Link at the top of the page.

      HQ & HQ Detachment was one of nine units to file a letter of intent with Fort Hood Special Services to field a flag football team. Each team will field a team of 7 players and a roster of 15 members. The games will take place on Red Lindsey Field and Pritchard Stadium in the evenings with the winners of a double elimination contest playing the 1st Armored Division winners in the Fort Hood Flag Football Tournament 7-10 November.

 24 September The Bravo Company platoon and assets assigned to Exercise SEA WALL returned to Fort Hood and their regular duties.

26 September A birthday celebration party marking the 20th anniversary of the Military Police Corps was held in the Battalion area. The highlight of the activities was the cutting of the cake by MG W. H. S. Wright, post and 2nd Armored Division commander.

     The E-5's and above proved their skill in baseball beating the E-4s and below, in addition topped the battalion officers in another game. Other events included tournaments in pinochle, volleyball, table tennis, touch football and horseshoes. A record playing session was conducted by the battalion communications sergeant who acted as disc jockey. Refreshments and a buffet style meal were served.

29 September In post flag football standings the Battalion team was tied for 4th place with the 85th Evacuation Hospital, each having a 3-1 record.


Exact Date Unknown   MSG William B. Calloway of Alpha Company was promoted to First Sergeant.

6 October In post flag football standings the Battalion team dropped from 4th to 5th place with a record of 4-1.

9 October As a result of the activation of reserve units throughout the Army due to the Berlin Crisis, the 304th Military Police Company from Bardstown, Kentucky arrived at Fort Hood to start training. The company traveled by train and bus during their deployment.

     The company’s 1SG George L. Ball summed up his thoughts as to the general feelings of his troops. “We hated to leave our homes and families but we know why we were called.” The company was billeted in barracks on Santa Fe Avenue.

1SG Calloway

10 October At the Military Officers Wives’ group monthly coffee social at the home of Mrs. C. W. Boden, Mrs. Boden and Mrs. Robert K. Udclaire wife of the Battalion XO were co-hostesses. Newcomers were welcomed and presented with a house plant. Future plans for the group included a December Christmas party with the husbands as guests.

14 October  Under HQ & HQ Detachment Unit Orders No. 31 Privates E-2 Fred A. Schnell and Daniel Wabakken were promoted to the rank of Private 1st Class (E-3), and SP/4 Raymond D. Curran was assigned as the detachment’s Alternate Mail Clerk.

23 October The following members of HQ & HQ Detachment successfully qualified at the range with the M1911 .45 caliber pistol, 1LT Robert G. Warren and WO1 Henry E. Taucher; .45 caliber Thompson Sub-Machine gun, SP/4 Carlos Gonzalez and PFC Henry O. Flanagan; .30 caliber Carbine, SFC Walter R. Shipley, SFC William E. Ritchie, SGT James Green, PFC Daniel L. Wabakken, SP/4 Bobby Loudin; .30 caliber M1 Rifle, SP/4 Victor J. Mayeda, PFC Marvin P. Daniel, PFC Fred A. Schnell, PFC Michael J. Kostecki, PFC Phillip E. Ewald.

27 October The HQ Detachment flag football team was eliminated from post-season play with a season ending record of 5-8.

     MAJ Glenn Clarks of the 35th Engineer Group defeated WO Henry Taucher the personnel officer of HQ Detachment, 720th MP Battalion to win the Post Units Ping Pong Tournament at Arena 1. MAJ Clarke took the first match of the three game set 21-17, WO Taucher won the second 21-15, but Clarks came back to capture the title 21-13.

      WO Taucher and SFC Henry Rhodes of Special Services teamed up to take the doubles match from MAJ Clarke and SGT George Perry of Special Services by scores of 21-17 and 21-14.


Exact Date Unknown SFC Robert E. Erhardt, Sr. and SGT Mitchell Guminski of Bravo Company were both awarded Certificates of Achievement for their outstanding service in Exercise SEA WALL. SFC Erhardt as the Provost Marshal Operations Sergeant and SGT Guminski as a member of the Battle Group Chore Party MP Section.

3 November The Fort Hood Traffic Toll statistics for 1961 as of this date were 112 injuries and 14 fatalities. During the same time in 1960 there were 96 injuries and 11 fatalities.

9-14 November The battalion underwent the Army Training Test for TO&E 19-35 conducted by the 4th Army Provost Marshal Section consisting of LTC Albert I. Sandsmark and his staff of five from Camp Bullis, (San Antonio) Texas.

     The Training Test, preceded by three weeks of intensified field and garrison training, was given on unfamiliar terrain, and was a highly successful three-day field exercise, during which the battalion was fortunate in having excellent weather.

     The ranking observer LTC Albert I. Sandmark from the Provost Marshal’s Office of the 4th U.S. Army, awarded the battalion a Superior rating at the conclusion of the test. Observing the testing were COL Eugene J. Carson and LTC Milton S. Marcus from Continental Army Command Headquarters.

10 November Fort Hood had an ample supply of pecan trees growing on post both in and outside the range impact areas. Each year a limit was set on their harvest and certain areas of the post were at times open to commercial bidding for the pecan harvesting. Since this years crop was considered poor, the area for picking by members of the military, their dependents and civilian employees of Fort Hood was wide open. Each vehicle involved in picking was permitted only three gallons un-hulled , the equivalent of one bucket.

     The potential pickers were warned that they must adhere to the rules and regulations set for the picking season, and any violations would be strictly enforced by the Military Police.

15 November The Commanding General of XVIII Airborne Corps, LG Hamilton H. Howze accompanied by members of his staff who arrived at Fort Hood for the annual STRAC Command Visit on the 14th, visited the Battalion area in the morning. The focus of the visit was to ascertain the degree of tactical and logistical operational readiness and capabilities of post STRAC units.

30 November Determined to make up for the failed Bay of Pigs invasion, the Kennedy administration approved the CIA initiated Operation MONGOOSE—a plan to sabotage and destabilize the Cuban government and economy. The plan included the possibility of assassinating Castro.

     Castro discovered the plan and it caused him to look to the Soviet Union for further protection, which many said was the reason leading to the Cuban Missile Crisis of October 1962.


Exact Date Unknown  There was snow on the ground and the air cold, especially when driving around post in an open jeep. LTC Robert P. Hotaling asked the crew of the HQ & HQ Detachment motor pool to install a custom set of doors on his jeep HQ-1 and repaint it. The crew carried out his instructions, installed the new doors and repainted it a “high gloss” olive drab. Within weeks the base commander saw the changes and immediately ordered it to be returned to its original “flat” finish and the doors removed.

11 December The Battalion sponsored “MP Blue Devils” top team of the Freshman League Youth Community Athletics Association during regular season play, is scheduled to join forces with the bottom team, Killeen Base Bobcats, to meet an all-star team of players from the second and third place teams, the 6th Artillery Colts and the Yellow Jackets. The Freshman League players range in age from 11 to 13. For the tournament game the Blue Devils and Bobcats were designated as the National League All-Stars and their opponents the American League All-Stars.

     For three quarters the game was at a standstill with neither team being able to score. In the last 5 minutes of the fourth quarter the National League scored a touchdown and a 6-0 victory.

     The MP Blue Devils were awarded the league championship and sportsman trophies by COL Franklin W. Clarke, the III Corps Staff Judge Advocate.

15 December Chaplain (CPT) James W. Emerson, the Battalion and Episcopalian Chaplain at Fort Hood, returned from Fort Slocum, N.Y. where he attended a nine-week course at the Army Chaplain School. From his office in Brigade Chapel East, next to the battalion headquarters on Brigade Avenue, announced his new schedule of services for each Sunday.

Wanted: Photograph of Chaplain Emerson, please contact the History Project Manager via the Email Link at the top of the page.

     CPL Clarence E. Duncan of the Battalion was one of ten officers and Noncommissioned officers that retired at a formal ceremony held by the 78th Artillery, 2nd Armored Division at Fort Hood.

22 December In the Post Units Basketball League 1961-1962 season, the Battalion team was in last (6th) place in the American League with a record of 2 wins and 8 losses.

23 December The Battalion’s 6’6” center Claude Callahan was selected to play for the Curtis Flyers in the Yuletide Invitational Basketball Tournament. The Curtis Flyers, named after their coach SFC Vernon Curtis, consisting primarily of players from the 2nd Armored Division Fort Hood Basketball League teams, beat the 6th Infantry team to take the title game at the Fort Hood Main Arena.

28-30 December SFC Gene Richie of the Battalion was one of seven Fort Hood soldiers that participated as a member of the Fort Hood Sky Divers Team who won awards at the Sun Carnival Sport Parachute Meet in El Paso, Texas. The team won awards of 2nd place for accuracy, 2nd place for over-all team accuracy and a 4th place trophy for style in free-fall maneuvers.

1961 Miscellaneous Photographs Index
This Index contains miscellaneous photographs from 1961 that have yet to be directly linked to any specific Battalion Timeline event. If you can date any of the events depicted, or identify them as part of a specific event, operation, exercise or special duty assignment, please use the Email Link on the photograph or this page to notify the History Project Manager.
A "?" preceding the photo number denotes further identifications are needed, and an Email Link is provided.
   SP/4 Johnson visiting PFC Fields and unidentified member of Bravo Company on Fort Hood.